Before I knew about our divine Miss M, or our baby China, it was my mother's intention to make the kiddos a quilt. She thought it would be a baby quilt, but I wanted something that would be longer lived. A few weeks ago I divested all of my fabric money for the next millenium and picked out nine different patterns. The finished quilt will be 80 inches in length, and 70 inches in width. The "pattern" is simply 80 inch strips of varying widths (5 inches to 1 inch), with each fabric represented 3 times. We spent an afternoon mapping it out and I would daresay my mom has it mostly cut out already. My hope is that the quilt will find itself at family movie nights, a shelter during a thunderstorm, a sleepover tent, a reading companion, and an opportunity to connect with those who created it for years to come.
My sister says that most women buy shoes the way that I buy fabric. I can't help it! My craft closet has many a happy yard just waiting for it's purpose.