Yesterday our sweet little Madeline was baptized. Jeff's parents, sister and family, and my sister all came into town to celebrate with us. I really hadn't thought much about the significance of the service until I read the order of worship. We were asked three questions:
1) Do you acknowledge Madeline's need of the cleansing blood of Jesus Christ, and the renewing grace of the Holy Spirit?
2) Do you claim God's covenant promises on her behalf, and do you look in faith to the Lord Jesus Christ for her salvation, as you do for your own?
3) Do you now unreservedly dedicate Madeline to God, and promise, in humble reliance upon divine grace, that you will endeavor to set before her a godly example, that you will pray with and for her, that you will teach her the doctrines of our holy religion, and that you will strive, by all the means of God's appointment, to bring her up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord?
Wow. What a great responsiblity we are given as parents! I think most of the time I look at my job as a parent to protect from harm. Right now, this mostly involves sharp edges and bonks to the head. When I first read these questions I thought, I have so much to catch up on! I'm not ready! I need help! And then the theme broke through my foggy head, 1) we need Christ, 2) God is behind the promises, and 3) we are to rely upon divine grace amidst our own fallen nature. I'll admit my own Pharisaical leanings, but thanks be to God for this reminder.
I struggled during the service, not just for the weight of the vows, but for the sadness I felt knowing that this was not a service for both of our babies. When we were pregnant, we thought we might go to China in Spring of '09 to bring back our daughter. I had hoped for both girls to be baptized together, mostly just to reconcile in my head the birth order. For reasons we may not understand this side of heaven, our "baby China" is likely many years away, and not our first baby as we originally anticipated. We are still excited and looking forward to bringing her home, but this was just the final part of me accepting that trip being a long way off.
We did have a good weekend though. Jeff's parents came in Friday night, his sister and family came in Saturday, and the both sides of the family joined together for a simple taco lunch after church. Our little house was busting at the seams, but everyone seemed content enough to claim their piece of floor and chow down.
And the hankerchief? It was a gift from my Mom with Maddie's initials on it. I held it during the baptism, wiped her sweet head with it afterwards, and hopefully it will be held again on another day where vows are said in the church.
2 comments:
I love the hankie! What a sweet tradition and something I'll have to "steal" even though we've done the baptism.
Thanks for sharing your heart...and we are thankful to be a part of the story of her life.
Okay--I have tears in my eyes. What a sweet day and I love the handkerchief--that is so sweet and special. Maddie is so blessed and thanks for sharing your thoughts and heart.
Post a Comment