No bones about it. I hate to sew. I've been putting off the petite project of sewing the divine Miss M's stocking for at least 3 weeks now, and seeing how the date of December 23rd spelled impending doom, I reconciled myself to the project this evening. My plan had been to trace her little toes up to calf and create a life size version. Problem 1: Holding down an adventurous crawler long enough to get pattern. Nevermind the fact that she is ticklish and everytime I hit her arch with the pencil she would jerk away. Problem 2: The pattern was in 18th century pig latin. Problem 3: My small house was already strewn with piles of laundry to be done, but on hold, due to the fact that my laundry room shuts down every night at 6 pm. (you see it is in the garage, and once both cars are in, times up). Problem 4: Every sewing item has to be hauled out of the closet; ironing board and iron, sewing machine, box with scissors & pins, scrap fabric for lining. Problem 5: All the stupid little threads that have to be cut and then gathered up. The first cut out was to size- MISTAKE! I needed room for the seam allowance. The second attempt, while following the pattern exactly, put the cuff on at some weird time and raw edges would inevitably show. I'm over it. And, yes, my friends, it currently sits in it's ragged format in the corner of the room where I threw it.
Last year, I had taken a class at my local knitting shop for a knitted stocking. The priority at that time was to just figure out enough to get started and finish it this summer. Well, having a baby threw me for a loop and here we are at Christmas 08 without anything for the munchkin. But this sewing experience has made me resolve that next year at this time, I will have a knitted stocking for her. At least knitting materials stay confined to one little basket.... and a couple of how to Internet sites.
2 comments:
totally, absolutely, completely CRACKING ME UP!!!!!
so sorry about the stocking, just find a cute sock and hang it up :)
You are hilarious!!! Merry Christmas--I say just buy a stocking:)
Post a Comment