amusing amusements

amusing amusements

21 January, 2009

Where were you?

So with all the history being made with the inauguration of our 44th President, I felt it important to take a picture of the moment for Maddie. This way she can see exactly where she was and what she was doing at that time in history.

I'm sure she'll look back and comment about how polka dots were the height of fashion.



This was as close as I could come to the "moment" because the flash is like a banana to a monkey for this girl. And if you look very carefully, you will also see where I am stamped at this time. I wish my toenails were in a different color.

There is a particular phrase that struck me in the ceremony. As it was beginning, Dianne Feinstein spoke of this "peaceful transition of power". I thought of all the countries where leaders take control of a country by force and casualties are taken at ages far too young. There is no ceremony with music, flags, joy, cheering, booing, or promises made. Just a heavy hand and people who live in fear. As I sat in my home with my daughter watching the festivities on the television, I thought how fortunate I was to witness not only this history being made, but to see the previous leader being hugged by the current leader. How amazing! I am very grateful to live in this democratic society.

President Obama was not the man I voted for, I was a McCain supporter in 2000 and in 2008; particularly because of his work to make adoption more affordable. But I am reminded of Proverbs 21:1, "Just as water is turned into irrigation ditches, so the Lord directs the king's thoughts. He turns them wherever he wants to."

Also, the performance of "Air and Simple Gifts" by Yo-Yo Ma and Itzhak Perlman was awesome. It reminded me in part of "Appalachian Spring" by Aaron Copeland.

3 comments:

Aimee D said...

such great words, such a sweet momma and friend.

Jane said...

I asked Thomas last night what was his fav. part of the entire day. He answered : I loved Yo- Yo playing the chello. Forget the history he had seen, Areatha sining, Rick Waren praying the Lords prayer to the world. It was Yo-Yo Ma and his chello.

Allyson said...

Love the new interface. So stylish. Maddie's polka dot fashionality (yup, I just made that word up...call me Christian Siriano) has clearly inspired you. :)

She will look at that picture one day. Good idea.

Love and miss you.