amusing amusements

amusing amusements

03 May, 2010

Hairdryers (and other miscellaneous appliances that give up far too early on you)

So, I had a hairdryer from high school that passed away after 15 years of faithful service. Yes, it's amazing, mystifying, but a true story. Naturally I assumed that all hairdryers should last so long. I bought a new one at Target that lasted all of 3 years. Figuring it was just a poor purchase, I plunged in with more money and bought this one in racing red.





It died peacefully last night, and smartly so. My husband was about to use it to dry caulk.

Frankly, I'm annoyed. Do I have to replace a hairdryer every year to only toss it's predecessor into the landfill? Should I walk around with wet hair in protest? (This is a emphatic no, I tried today, and it was NOT pretty). I stomp down to Sally's Beauty Supply with toddler in tow and bought a salon quality model with a warranty for a sale price of $50.

Glaring at the receipt with $50 next to the word "hairdryer", I get more frustrated. I found the instruction manual with minimal difficulty (remember, I am a consumer science major who studied Ralph Nader) and think "Ha, Ha! They didn't count on me keeping this miniscule piece of paper!" Lo and behold, there is a 2 year warranty on said hairdryer and I am only 1 year in. I called up the number preparing to do battle and was greeted by a friendly voice who apologized! Within 2 minutes, my information has been secured and my replacement hairdryer is on it's way via FedEx.

Isn't it nice when a story has a happy ending?

1 comment:

DM said...

I am on a one year hair dryer revolving door. I thought it was me. What a racquet! (sp???)