amusing amusements

amusing amusements

01 February, 2009

Communion Prep Sunday

So I've dropped one committee at church and gained another... sacraments. Yesterday, I got a last minute call to set up for the 9am service, which for me means getting to church at 8. Not too big of a deal with the help of my husband; the baby wrangler.

It takes me about an hour moving at a fairly quick pace to set up for communion. Six trays filled with wine & grape juice, 6 bread trays, chalice, and refill stations. I really enjoy being there early in the quiet and making the bread at home. Feels very Old Testament. :)

Last week as we left church I saw a sign at a new local favorite restaurant; Big Fatty's. It was Sunday Brunch from 9-2. I love breakfast and locally owned businesses, but having worked too many Sundays in my own life, hate making other people work for me on a Sunday. This Sunday I threw my Phariseeism (is that a word?) out the window. We pulled in for brunch about 10:45. As soon as we were situated, the waitress brought out fresh strawberry muffins for us to eat. Here's the visual: golden brown mini muffins drizzled with fresh strawberries and juice, with just a slight dash of powdered sugar. Oh happy day.

Maddie ate pieces off of whatever muffins we were willing to spare her, along with some banana and Cheerios. Jeff got shrimp and grits with cornbread, and I got a seafood omelet with a biscuit, hashbrowns, and gravy. Now, if you were to ask me, I would say that I don't like gravy of any sort. But our friends at Big Fatty's silently slipped a little sampler of it onto my plate. It sat there steaming and demanded a hashbrown to be dunked in. These were not the frozen hasbrowns, mind you, but the cut-up potato farm version. Fabulous! Madeline seemed to enjoy it too. Considering she only has a few teeth stubs, that girl can bite into a biscuit! This may be a new communion serving tradition.

5 comments:

Aimee D said...

we need to try it all together one sunday!

Jane said...

If we lived in Knoxville we would come too. That would be a fun brunch.

Anonymous said...

Sopping up gravy with a biscuit now that's what I call southern. You are raising Maddie well.
Love Ya, Leanne

notes of em said...

we love that place. love, love, love it.
BUT drews cholesterol doesnt.

robyn said...

YUM YUM!! I have not tried it. I am sure Lynn would love it.