amusing amusements

amusing amusements

07 September, 2008

See you in December...


Today I put up (don't you love that Southern dialect) a half bushel of peaches. I love every minute of it and even enjoy making a total mess in my kitchen. There is something so cathartic about stowing away golden summer goodness and meeting up again come winter. For me, almost always with this cobbler recipe; a keepsake from my grandmother's nursing school cookbook:


2 c. fresh peaches (strawberries or blackberries are also great)

1 1/2 c. sugar

1 stick butter

3/4 c. plain flour

2 tsp. baking powder

pinch of salt

3/4 c. milk


Mix fruit with 1 cup of sugar; set aside. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Put butter in a deep baking dish (2 quarts). Set it in oven to melt butter. Make a batter of 1/2 cup sugar, flour, baking powder, salt, and milk. Pour batter over melted butter, but do not stir. Put sugared fruit on top of batter, but do not stir. Bake for 1 hour. The batter will rise to the top and become crisp and brown. Serve warm, and ice cream is always a plus!


I use my peach preserves and save myself some of the prep.


5 comments:

Aimee D said...

you are WAY too domestic! Don't I wish I could be more like you :)

Jane said...

Girlfriend - I wish had given me that recipe last week when I bought too many peaches last week. I have made peach butter, peach pie, I froze peaches for smoothies and every time my children where hungry I gave them a peach. We only have about 4 left. I will say that the peaches this year have been wonderful.

Ashley said...

oh YUM, I will take your peach pie recipe!!

Jane said...

It was more like a cobbler and like all my cooking I winged it. Peaaches, surgar and some other stuff mixed in a bowl, put in a pan cover it with a pie shell, cooked and called it yummy. I could never write a cook book.

Allyson said...

Might I request said cobbler to appear sometime over the holidays? Maybe as our non-traditional Thanksgiving dessert?

:)