amusing amusements

amusing amusements

16 September, 2008

Green Mothering


I am a recycler. I am trying to understand what a carbon footprint is and if mine is a narrow or double E. When I found out I was pregnant last summer, I freaked out thinking about the kind of air my child/grandchild/great-grand.....(you get the picture) would breathe. So, I am making some choices. Maddie's diapers are gdiapers, a sort of hybrid cloth diaper where the liner is plastic-free and flushable. Did you know that regular diapers do not even begin to show signs of wear until 500 years later???? But I digress. I am making our laundry detergent. Okay, grating a soap and combining two other powders, but still EFFORT. I drive a SUV, but chose the 4 cyl. I am making baby food and this is where I find myself digging in my heels. I am not making baby food because I think it is better, cheaper, or more nutritious than jarred. I do it for one reason only-- canned baby food has always made me gag. Ever since I started babysitting in my early teens, I would find myself with my hand clapped over my mouth and running away from some poor, hungry child. And now, on my second homemade attempt, I find that same impulse kicking in. Peas. I hate them and I will spare you my description of what happens in your mouth when you bite into them. My kitchen reeks and I can't go in there to make dinner tonight. So I conclude in the immortal words of Kermit the Frog- "It's not easy being green."

3 comments:

Jane said...

baby food in a jar is yucky. not that i have eaten it but it smells yucky, looks yucky- i did homemade for the same reason - oh yea and it is good for them.

Aimee D said...

hang in there! you can do it :)

Allyson said...

Gross.

Still make her eat five bites. That's the rule.