I've never had a good scone.
Dry and crumbly; they make me think the bakery scraped their board off into
triangle portions to trick us into paying $3.25 for it's equivalent of spam.
Until this week.
I had clipped a recipe from Southern Living from December 2010 promising
"Easy and Irrestible Scones".
The recipe had a basic recipe with 4 sweet variations. The subtext said that
"a buttery-rich scone is nothing more than a glorified biscuit".
What? Well, what were those things in the lit cabinets then?
I guess they are doorstops, b/c I haven't found a better use for them.
So, my friends, let me heartily recommend this recipe to you, as foolproof. Proven by a fool.
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/ 2 cup cold butter, cut into small cubes
1 cup whipping cream
(this variation includes dried cherries and dark chocolate- meticulously measured)
(um... grabbed by the handful)
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt in a large bowl. Cut butter into mixture with a pastry blender until crumbly and resembles small peas. Freeze bowl and contents for 5 minutes. Add most of cream and stir just until the mixture is completely moistened.
Note: I added a little extra cream to make sure it was cohesive
and easy to work with- I don't like "shaggy" dough.
Turn dough out on a non-stick surface (wax paper, cutting board, countertop...whatever)
Pat into a smallish circle, about the size of a pie pan, and cut into 8 wedges.
Place them a little apart on a cookie sheet, and brush with any remaining cream.
Add a little turbinado sugar if you like the bling.
Bake for 13-15 minutes at 450 until golden.
Convice your husband not to leave well enough alone.
He will whip out the immersion blender and take cream, powdered sugar, vanilla,
and beat into a frothy frenzy.
Congratulate him on his initiative. Offer to be a taster.
PS. The other 3 variations?
- Dried apricot and crystallized ginger (yes, it is awesome),
- cranberry and pistachio,
- brown sugar and pecan
1 comment:
The apricot Ginger sounds scrumptious and If you freeze that whip cream and spread it like Butter it's delish too!
Homemade scones are always better!
Post a Comment