amusing amusements

amusing amusements

13 May, 2011

April's book review



Lest you think that I am just now finishing this book for April let me reassure you- I finished this with a week to spare in the month of April. But, feel free to berate me for just now getting the review up. And May's book is Shepherding a Child's Heart by Tedd Tripp, which I haven't started yet, and will be my 3rd attempt to read all the way through.

This book was given to us by our church upon Sara's baptism. It was also given with the caveat that we may not agree with everything in it, but it was still a worthwhile read. The author, Robbie Castleman, is the wife to a pastor and mother to two (now grown) sons. The book was first published back in 1993, and is very practical and down to earth. ... and somewhat cheesy. With chapter titles such as "Daddy, I'd like for you to meet my children" and "The Holy Hug", this is not a book I would have given more than 5 seconds to upon perusal at a bookstore.

BUT, having raised two children in the joy of worship and witnessing the fruit from it, she deserves and earns her right to be heard. She encourages all parents to have their children "learn to worship by worshipping- through participation, practice, and patience". She makes it accessible by remembering her own experience as a child- going to church mostly as a routine exercise, and as a pastor's wife, so that wherever you fall on the spectrum you can relate.

I took away a few points for us to incorporate:

1) Sunday morning begins Saturday evening- have clothes, shoes, diaper bags ready for Sunday morning. Talk to your children about what they will do tomorrow with excitement!

2) Young children can be taught to listen for words that will often be repeated such as "Love, Jesus, truth, thanks, etc" and can squeeze your hand when they hear it. It helps to stretch out their attention spans and remind you of your duties in church.

3) Give answers to their questons as they arise. Use short answers in the sermon and follow up with them afterwards.

She disagrees with letting children "doodle" in church. I instantly thought of Edith Schaeffer's "The Hidden Art of Homemaking" and how she would doodle draw her husband's sermons to illustrate the main points of the sermon. We're talking stick figures here, so for this mediocre art student, it's possible. (By the way, I would HEARTILY recommend Schaeffer, desert island material my friends)

I don't think I would buy this "Parenting in the Pew" book, but borrow it and jot down a few notes.

1 comment:

Jane said...

loved this book -read it when Thomas was a baby. It was helpful.

I agree with you that doodling is not a bad thing - I do think asking me a million questions and dealing with flying crayons is not good.
My little 2 each have a note book and one pen. they can drawl only during the sermon - they must stand up sing, pray and we try to avoid sitting next to friends that bring an entire toy bag to church.

the woman who lead us in the book had 6 kids - 4 girls - she let them practice sewing on buttons to scrap fabric. She said busy hands, quiet mouths, they are listening. I think she was on to something.