It only took a few hours, snatched over weeks in 10 minute increments, and a new box of Crayola colored pencils. (I tried to use Mad's colored pencils, but she didn't have a gray, and for $5.99 at my favorite red store I had a choice of 3 grays. I'm still not sure if I'm going to share with my daughter.) Madeline gathered the branches out of our yard and I found this red vase in our stash. I took the ornaments to be laminated at our local Kinko's (excuse me, Fed Ex Office, when did that happen???) and it cost about $10 for all of them. I love that I only have to store an envelope full of ornaments from year to year.
For those of you who haven't heard of a Jesse Tree before, it is a way to celebrate Advent with your children. There are symbols, Scripture readings, and a short devotion for each day. What was most appealing to me is that there is no standard way of displaying it. Because I'm so type A, when I see the cutest, most creative, and visually appealing "craft", I frustrate myself in failed attempts or no attempts at all. In all of my online searching for Jesse tree texts and ideas, I never really saw an example, just suggestions of how to do it. Somehow it took the pressure off.
I actually found the coloring to be very calming and therapeutic. It's not perfect and it's not meant to be. It's purely a way to engage in the season daily. We started yesterday and I have already found myself more in tune to the coming of Christ.
Now, if I can just get the courage to pull out those red & green storage boxes.....
3 comments:
Yay for the Advent Jesse Tree! Yours is very lovely!!! ;) Excited for ways that we can hide more truth in our little ones hearts!
YAHOO for the Jesse Tree. My children and I love the Jesse Tree - it is such a good way to prepare our hearts for Christmas.
We have used the same ornaments for the last 3 years. LAst year it was a bit ho humm, so to shake it up this year - we made a tree like yours and each night they get to make their own ornaments with pipe cleaners. They aren't as pretty as my real ornaments ,but at this age pretty is not as important that they get the point. they (even the 11 year old) get excited to make the ornament an put it on the new tree.
Your blog looks cute - nice new picture
Never heard of this! This is amazing I love this new and exciting way to anticipate Jesus Birthday!
Post a Comment