amusing amusements

amusing amusements

29 October, 2010

I'm not a teacher....

just a mom who desperately needed her oldest to be busy for a while...

Have you seen all of those blogs out there that encourage sorting/tactile/shapes what-have-you learning? Me too. I had a list of all the things that I needed to make this preschool activity happen.



But then I realized that the Halloween version had several problems:

- I don't own dried black beans and am too cheap to buy them for only this use. I do not like beans Sam I am, and I will not eat them anywhere.
- I would eat candy corn if it was in the house and this poor little mouse would never find her buried treasure.
- All the other brilliant cute things that should be in there, I'd have to shop for. The point was to keep her busy, not create an errand for me.



So, I improvised. We have popcorn kernels, alphabet beads, and colored beads.




I pulled out alphabet beads to spell Madeline and a bead of every color. She had to scoop through to find them and put them in a special canning jar. I am sure there's magic educational names for this, but...


This kept her busy for a full 45 minutes. Hallelujah! It was messy, but for some reason our dog likes to eat popcorn, so no clean up for errant kernels. All the materials are reusable. Happy day.

3 comments:

Martha B said...

how cute and soo creative. thank you God for Madeline's mom.

Anonymous said...

you are SO a teacher ;)
honestly those "non" teacher people are the ones that tend to be the most relaxed and creative moms

Joy said...

I love that you are a simplistic woman who embraces the freedom to use what you have instead of running to the store. I am a store runner...I confess it. I don't embrace FREEDOM as I should. Thankful for your popcorn today and the truth of searching out what you have and making it work. It is what I needed to hear today! Honest, who knew God could use popcorn for a mothers heart!!! ;)