amusing amusements

amusing amusements

05 April, 2010

Beach bummin'



We spent this past week on a much overdue vacation in Amelia Island, FL. Jeff and I realized that it has been over 3 years since we had a real getaway. To be fair, we do like spending little short trips away, and we are often at my family's lakeside cabin in the summer. But- there's something about committing a whole week away and just with one another. This way to the beach!



Madeline had no trouble at all with the water. She ran headlong into the ocean as soon as we set foot on the sand. We hadn't even dropped our towels! We pulled her out and she turned to look at us, and then said "Go!" and ran back in. The water was not warm enough yet to really get in past your knees, but that nut stayed in blue lips and all!




Now I get it! Toddlers at the beach are as easy as the drive-thru of McDonalds. They can yell, dig, make a mess, and it's all okay. The bonus of a great nap isn't too bad either. I just love those fat toddler toes covered in sand.





Catch me if you can!






We were actually down in FL for a family wedding in Jacksonville. Can you see all the crowds on the beach??? That's our umbrella up there with no one else around it. It was awesome and so easy to get to. Amelia Island is still a unsullied beach town with some great antiquing. I found some old hardback Nancy Drew's for $3.75 each! (I still cringe thinking about all of my old ND's that I sold at a garage sale all the while insisting to my mother that I was too old for them- she should have bought them off me herself- and yes, I 'm taking notes now that I'm a mother) But I digress. I also found a great hobnail pitcher made out of milk glass for $14. I'd love to show you a picture, but my camera is out of commission right now. Ugh! Another note to self, bring small camera on vacation, not the fancy mamba jamba that you can't figure out where to take in for repairs.

And, also announcing, we are pregnant with our second child, due on October 1st! (My apologies to LM, who I saw at the grocery store just two days before it was permissible to tell) I'm feeling much better this time around than with Madeline and very grateful for it. We are going to have a delivery room surprise this time around and Jeff is grudgingly going along with the idea. I, personally, can't imagine a more fun time to find out.

2 comments:

Joy said...

It looks like you guys had a BLAST! I love that you were the only ones on the beach...WOW! Congrats on a new little one! Super excited for you guys!!!

Allyson said...

I'm loving the purple shades. She's a movie star. And apparently all of her "Go Duke" cheers were heard in Indianapolis last night.