I have been remiss from blogging lately due to planning my daughter's first official birthday party. Last year, we had a little play date with a few friends that included cake, but was a far cry from an actual party. I knew then that her fourth would have to be an all out affair.... well, for me, anyways; with mailed invitations, planning, craft, and lots of stress. You know the premise of "facing your fears"? Well, this one tops public speaking in my realm. So, for the love of my daughter, I looked the party in the eye, gave it the old one-two (and went up to six for good measure) and promptly took a nap once the house cleared out.
The party room thanks to my Craigslist dining table, a tablecloth I scooped up from Target in 2005 (yes, that's right, I just opened the package) for a mere $4, and a homemade banner from leftover scrapbook paper. The scrapbook paper was leftover from the same birthday girl's birth announcements. Wild.
Crazy stinkin' cute
We started off with Jeff (the man, the myth, the legend, Captain Awesome!!!) entertaining the kiddos with a scavenger hunt through our main floor.
Mayhem ensues- Sara remains upright
The hunt ends with my picnic basket containing mini wood boxes with each girl's initial on them. I had stickers for them to decorate with and then we made bracelets with pipe cleaners, colored and alphabet beads, and these sweet little purse charms that Madeline picked out. Craft and party favor in one!
Fabulous little birthday girl wanted a strawberry cake with pink icing. This was my second attempt, b/c the first attempt really wanted to be part of a trifle. I begged it to be a layer cake, but sometimes there's just no persuading a cake out of it's pan in one piece. Round two went to me, where, during the ingredient stage, I told the cake it will come out of the pan in one piece.... or else. And then I beat it into submission. On level 10. HA!
We all really had a great time and the partygoers played wonderfully well together, and one little Madeline was exceedingly happy for days leading up to the event. It was a great reminder for me to parent her selflessly. This picture was taken after Jeff and I woke up from naps.....she's still holding her balloon.
4 comments:
Ahh, it looks like so much fun! Your cake is BEAUTIFUL! Wanna make my birthday cake??? :)
Looks lovely and you faced your fears and then some! The cake is awesome and that pic of her Witt eh balloon is priceless.
Pictures look great Ashley! And oh wow, I just laughed at her napping with balloon still on wrist.
They are ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL. Can't wait to see them soon.
This is a priceless post! Especially the description of the cake-making (it turned out gorgeous) and the picture of Madeline napping with her balloon. What a happy birthday!
- Frances
Post a Comment