As I think over the flurry of conversations that come at the beginning of the year, I often find myself completely befuddled. January brings the buzz words of "clean slate, fresh leaf, new beginnings" and the like; and then lots of laughter and hands up in the air as resolutions (or the new one I heard-"intentions"- less menacing somehow) are written off as too lofty and impossible to keep. This happens year after year after year, and if you doubt me, just watch the morning shows now and then again in mid-February.
Folks, as a perfectionist, I can tell you, there's not a thing that we commit to 100%.
That's why we need Jesus.
I'll give you an example: I committed in the month of December to take a picture a day, journal a few quick sentences, paste the two together, and put it in a shoebox for Decembers to come and add to. I thought, "hey, it's the holiday season, this is a ripe time to take pictures and journaling will be easy". I just looked over my photo software and found eight days missing- including when we bought new furniture, celebrated our 11th anniversary, and New Year's Eve. Yep, and get this; I fully intend to cheat and add some of the days in retrospect. I'm cool like that.
So, for this 2012, very little for me is changing. I have a perennial list of things that I want to accomplish, but instead of dwelling with what I can't do, I will try to focus on what has been done on my behalf. After all, it's a race of perseverance, but not by our own merit.
No comments:
Post a Comment