amusing amusements

amusing amusements

27 October, 2011

Break out the Nancy Drews!


Early morning found us at the Doctor's office for flu shots.  The girls were successfully stuck, tears were shed, and we headed to checkout.  The sweet receptionist, upon seeing Madeline's crocodile tears, asked if she would like a lollipop  (such a fun word, I love to say it...)

Madeline:  "Yes please!"
Receptionist:  "Which flavor would you like?"
Madeline....pausing... making me wonder if she has any idea what flavor is or means....
Madeline: "Mystery!!"
Receptionist : "Mystery?" 
she and I exchange looks of amazement/bewilderment, as Madeline nods

Sweet receptionist dutifully digs among the dumdums and comes up with the mystery flavor to my daughter's absolute delight.  I walk out of there prepared to write a letter to PBS thanking them for all of their children's programming.

A couple errands later, we are in Target, and I turn around only to find my daughter about to eat some popcorn she found laying on a store shelf.  "Put that down!  We don't eat food from the floor! It's dirty!"  wondering why in the world I have to say this.... don't kids know anything?  Haven't I told her this at some point before?  Do I really have to say don't eat popcorn off the floor? 

Oh well,.... maybe she is more of Shaggy from Scooby Doo.  I always liked the Mystery Machine.  We'll work our way up to the Nancy Drews.

No comments: