
I have this wonderful balm that seems to heal all sorts of maladies. From burns, bites, bruises and general "why not try...", this cure-all seems to immediately bring relief. Reading this biography and hearing of the deep love of a pastor for his flock to come to know Christ was a sweet balm for me this month.
McCheyne, who died at the age of 29, was a pastor in Scotland. He had a small church to officiate over and spent much of his life struggling against illness. Maybe this is why he was so compelled to bring people to the feet of Christ?
He humbles me in his remorse over time poorly spent, as he laments "What right have I to steal and abuse my Master's time? 'Redeem it,' he is crying to me."
He encourages me as he reads of the life of Jonathan Edwards , "How feeble does my spark of Christianity appear beside such a sun! But even his was a borrowed light , and the same source is still open to enlighten me."
He spurs me on in heavenly-mindedness, "O how I repent of our vain controversies on Establishments when we last met, and that we spoke so little of Jesus! O that we had spoken more to one another! Lord, teach me to be always speaking as dying to dying."
Reading his life made me want to sit at his feet and just absorb his presence; to breathe his air. But this would not be his desire and in fact was something he was saddened by as people came to seek him out. "I fear I am not thoroughly humbled. I feel the pride of my heart and I bewail it." He was wholly compelled for them all to know the Great Shepherd, in His glory.
His desire to know God better; to speed us on to glory is just so wondrous to behold. He knows the time is short and our view is dim. This book was written by his dear friend and contemporary, Andrew Bonar, and his love for his precious friend is evident. I'll leave this quote as a balm for my friends:
"If I could hear Christ praying for me in the next room, I would not fear a million of enemies. Yet the distance makes no difference; he is praying for me."
Here's a great link to his sermons; organized by topic, and they average about 5-6 pages.
Next month's book: God of Promise by Michael Horton
No comments:
Post a Comment