amusing amusements

amusing amusements

13 April, 2011

Four Year Anniversary















Yep, today's the day! We've been officially waiting for our baby China for four years now. It seems sort of odd to say that you've been waiting for a baby who isn't likely born yet, but we have the accordion file to prove it. I'm often asked several questions about our adoption, so if you'll indulge me a few minutes of reading, I'll try and field them here. THANK YOU, for asking!!

1) Why is it taking so long?
We don't really know. One theory we have been given is that of "illegal adoptions". If you remember the earthquakes that hit China a few years ago, many families lost their one and only child in those tragedies. So some of the abandoned babies are being picked up by these families and not being reported through proper channels. There are lot of other theories out there, but explaining the wait doesn't expedite the wait. I try to choose not to speculate... but I often pray "Set the captives free"!

2) Do you hear anything from your agency?
We (along with 1500+ other families) get regular updates on Wednesday via our agency's website. Sometimes the report is that there is nothing to report, and other times it is the happy news of matches! It seems as if there are matches every four weeks or so. Our agency has always responded very quickly to any question we have had, and I have absolutely every faith in them.

3)What about some other countries? Wouldn't it be faster?
Apparently so! But, our baby is in China. Whenever we consider another avenue, we get a clear "burning bush" to stay the course.

The families who have recently received their matches had log in dates of June 15, 2006. A log in date is basically your place in line. Imagine taking a number at a bakery. Until your number comes up, you just wait. No matter how many more people come in, that's your number and you will be taken care of duly. So, the current wait time (based on the new matches) is about five years. Our log in date is April 13, 2007. I could easily see it taking three or more years. Yuck. I hate even typing that. But, it's not pessimism, it's just history. In the meantime, would you also say your prayers to set the captives free?

3 comments:

Jane said...

I will be praying to "set the captive free!"

I can not wait to rejoice with you some day, celebrate , send a gift and cry tears of joy. That day will come and your sweet baby will come home until then we will pray for the child and the birth mother and your family.

Anonymous said...

yes, I'll pray with you for baby China, one you have been faithful to long and pray for these years four years (and before). Thanks for posting this update. Katherine

Leanne said...

Oh Ashley and Jeff I pray for that sweet one God has already put in your heart. I too can't wait to meet them. Wow the patience you guys have. Praying for the days he has ordained for them before they are born.
Love you
Leanne