amusing amusements

amusing amusements

15 December, 2010

Shut it down...

Today, I have a public service annoucement....

if you have these (those that breathe in your house, human or beast) , you should have a carbon monoxide detector. Ours went off this morning. We were eating breakfast and I started to hear a beeping that I couldn't find. At first I thought it was part of Mad's program on PBS, but I finally discovered our detector going off in the basement. I shut it off and almost attributed it to a faulty battery, but the alarm went off twice more after that. I called Jeff who called John H. Coleman ( highly recommend them) and they thought it was exhaust from our unit. Our home inspector had us place a detector on the other side of the wall from the unit, and thanks be to God that he did. We shut the unit down, raised the windows, and I began to plan the escape route for me and the girls. Literally, I am running up the stairs and packing clothes for us to leave the house. We called KUB who told us to call 911, and then ...



here comes the brigade. They came into the basement and took a measurement (it should be zero) and found a 5 or a 6. We told them that we had shut the unit down and aired out the room, so we tested it with the unit on and closed off. The numbers on their scale climbed to 50 within a matter of seconds.

I can't help but think how slowly the gas dissipates compared to how quickly it fills up a room when there is a leak of some sort. I did feel nauseous and headachey while I was down there shutting it off and raising windows for ventilation, but I attributed that to more stress and "mama bear".



So, as Coleman works on the unit, we pull out the auxilliary heaters, employ our fireplace, and return to potty training. Yep, that's Mad sitting on a towel, extra pair of sweatpants by her side. It's just another week with the Becketts.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love, love the two in bed together reading and the
Look on S's face is awesome!

Joy said...

So thankful that you guys are safe! Goodness! Thank you also for all the service announcements! Definitely handy to have. Glad all is "calm" now. ;)