amusing amusements

amusing amusements

12 September, 2010

Preparations



So, has she had the baby yet? No. I have been frantically making preparations and tying up last minute details.

Detail #1- Make a baby blanket. Problem associated with that was I didn't have any neutral colors in my stash, so I had to make a boy and girl version. Two blankets. Testing the "8 hour blanket" theory. But they are done.

Detail #2- Make baby hat. I had plenty of neutral for this, but my first attempt was with a yarn that was sure to drive me into the insane asylum. Instead, I chose a gray Eco Alpaca- made from undyed baby alpaca, and it's an absolute delight each time it skims over my fingers. I can't wait to put it on that sweet little head.

Detail #3- Decide on, order, and then wash cloth diapers. I'm diving in people- wish me luck!

Detail #4- Prepare meals for baby's homecoming and thus, my lack of time for kitchen work. Jeff graciously smoked 3 chickens and a pork shoulder over Labor Day weekend, and that yielded about 15 main course entrees that are nesting in freezer bags for their unveiling. I also have set aside instant chocolate chip cookies, loaves of bread, Bacon Cheddar Chive scones, dozens of ham & cheddar muffins (perfect to eat one-handed), pre-grated cheese, and am currently baking a favorite quiche recipe that I will share with you here.

Spinach & Bacon Quiche
(adapted from a Southern Living 2000 cookbook)

1/2 (10 oz) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
4 large eggs
1 1/2 cups skim milk
1 (1.8 oz) envelope leek soup mix
1/4 tsp. black pepper
10 turkey bacon slices, cooked and crumbled
1/2 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1 unbaked (9 inch) frozen deep dish pastry shell

*Before I begin, I would like to emphasize that this is a brilliant recipe to double and stash in the freezer. The pastry shell comes in a pack of two (make SURE you use a deep dish version) and the chopped spinach package has to be halved.

Drain spinach well. Whisk together eggs, milk, soup mix, and pepper. Stir in spinach, bacon, and cheeses. Pour mixture into frozen pastry shell, and place on a baking sheet. Bake at 375 for 40-45 minutes. Serves 8.

I have personally eaten these 2 months after their initial storing in the freezer and found them to be perfect. I also have found that they taste better upon their 2nd baking!

Madeline also started pre-school last week and this is where my minimalism caught me off-guard. I had a host of lunch supplies, containers, and labels to buy. I still am searching for a divided container with 1 lid to fit in a child's sized lunch box, so if anyone has tips, please pass along. Yes, I have been to Target, Bed, Bath, & Beyond, and the ones that Ziploc makes are too big. I am sooooo clueless.....

My mom and I sewed peaceably together all last Labor day weekend. Two whole days (9-5, sing it Dolly) of panels and more panels. What does this mean?

a) my Genie sewing machine did not make it and I am searching out a lover of retro machines to give it to for scientific purposes, it runs, and I don't want it dumped in a landfill....

b) the curtains look 10 times better than if I had attempted them on my own,

c) Thank you, thank you, thank you, Mom! They are done and just awaiting window hardware,
d) I will gladly inherit my Mom's old machine- let's just hold off until the new year, okay?

5 comments:

Joy said...

Wow! You are amazing! Way to tackle about a million different things at one time...also one day I want to visit your freezer! It sounds like a lovely place. ;-)

We went on the great lunch box hunt of 2010 and I remembered coming across these (http://www.amazon.com/LunchBots-Duo-Stainless-Steel-Container/dp/B001OIX5H2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1284336769&sr=8-1)
at Amazon. Maybe it will help with the search! If you need it fast let me know and I can help out with that (we love us some Amazon around here).

kristen vasgaard said...

You are wonder woman! I'm definitely coming to visit when the baby is born. Mostly to eat your food!

Ella and Virgil Payne said...

Good luck with the cloth diapers! After trying them with Anderson and talking to a lot of people...I would definitely suggest waiting until the baby is at least 6 weeks old. I tried them from the start and it was a mistake! After consulting wise and green friends, they all were in agreement that it shouldn't be started until the baby is old enough to have more solid waste. Again, that was my experience! We can't wait to hear your news!

Jane said...

I never in my wildest dreams thought to cook that much and freeze it before one of my babies was born. Thank goodness for the church's who brought us meals and that Chap cooks. You go girl!

As for lunch box boxes. I got the cheap sandwich box for a $1 at Target. 1/2 sandwich and one other things fits in to them. I have never found a box with dividers that fit in a kid lunch box. I am going as green as possible this year - sandwich box, metal water bottles that don't spill, some little containers for fruit or humus.... Good luck

DM said...

When do you do all this stuff????
BTW, I found (relatively) small divided containers w/ lids at Walmart in the 'kids/babies' section. I think it was Sassy brand. I'm guessing they were about 4-5" x 4-5" and fairly 'flat'. Not enough width for a sandwich (unless you smushed it :-) but big enough for a little eater. I think it had 4 'plates' and 2 lids in the box.