This weekend I enjoyed a weekend away to my favorite place on earth; my family's cabin in NC. I drug a good friend along with the promise of a fabric shopping adventure- convienently forgetting to mention the plethora of spiders awaiting us on the porch. I desperately wanted a time away before the baby came and I have to tell you the weather cooperated beautifully for us. It was rainy and mild, quite unheard of for the end of July. Thanks be to God! My great uncle never factored in air-conditioning when building it back in the 60's. I guess global warming hadn't been coined back then.
So to finish out the big theme- I came away with this fabric:
13 yards to cover five windows, curtain-style, for our breakfast nook. The best part? $4.50 a yard. As my friend said, it is youthful thanks to the kelly green botanicals. I wasn't so sure even when I walked out of the store with it, but since placing the bolt in my kitchen, it has proved itself endearing and just the right fit. Our backyard gives a modicum of privacy in the summer, but once the trees have lost their leaves, it feels very exposed. I knew I wanted to keep the curtains closed more in the winter; and this bright botanical fits the bill perfectly.
To go along with it, I bought grosgrain ribbon to cover the busted chandelier shades. 91 yards. I hope it's enough. I just had to take an educated guess off of some decorating shows I saw 6 years ago. If it doesn't work, tune in to Project Runway, I'm going to submit a challenge of grosgrain ribbon shift dresses.
On the way home we stopped at the farmer's market. I've been wanting to make my own red sauce with Roma tomatoes ever since I saw the family on "Cake Boss" make theirs up. Of course, I find a 25lb box of Romas for $8. I couldn't resist. I've put them up, but sort of made up the recipe as I went along- batch by batch.
I also bought a basket of peaches- put those up for pancake preserve topping and for instant winter cobblers. Oh, yum.... salivating even now. Also, the smallest purchase of just a gallon of blueberries. I love picking blueberries but this summer was just not the time to do it. I don't mind doing the work of picking if the putting up is easy, and blueberries don't require any effort. Just spread them out and make sure they're dry (do not wash!!!) and throw them in a freezer bag. Our goal is to stretch them out for our traditional blueberry pancake dinner on Christmas Eve. Served on china of course.
Now, I'm off to finish off my gargantuan task list. Not crossing it off, just adding to it. Remember, the theme is big.
4 comments:
love the fabric
i love that fabric too! it will look so elegant but not stuffy. i also love your kitchen...i haven't commented on it but I've enjoyed watching the progress, although it's hard to be patient when I'm used to 30 minute HGTV shows!
you are the most industrious pregnant-in-august lady i've ever met!
just reading all that makes me tired...
I've realized that as much as I would like to be like you, I'm not.
You do the canning and I'll bake the bread and we'll call it a perfect pair.
Thanks for a great weekend!
I really love the fabric that you chose. I am also going to need to come over and get some canning lessons from you! It all sounds so yummy...
Post a Comment