Can you believe there is no long hanging storage in here?
Eliminate the negative
Which color do you like? They were both intended for the main level, but I'm leaning towards the one on the left for the main and the one on the right for Madeline's room once she leaves the nursery behind.
Don't mess with the in-between... (the dining room sans master bed)
I thought I'd share some of the updates of our house this last week. We had new carpets put in a week ago, and what bliss! Nothing like walking barefoot on nice clean carpet. I have learned a early remodeling lesson. We got a less plush grade of carpet, and I regretted it the minute I stepped on it. The woman at the carpet store thought it would be more than adequate for bedrooms, but we were used to something a little more dense. If the carpet lasts for the minimum of 10 years that it is supposed to, it would have been worth the $50 extra a year for it's life. Lesson #1- Buy the best you can afford to. (which is why the kitchen is off in the distant future, b/c we could only afford a nice new Coleman stove at this point)
Lesson #2- We are on the cusp of middle age. Movers are worth every cent. The day after the carpet was installed we hired movers to bring the furnture up to the top level. Two gentleman (they took their shoes off to walk on my nice new carpet, A++++++) moved everything within an hour and 15 minutes. Unbelievable. You know when you move into a new house, there are certain things that only you can do. Where do the dishes go? Go buy new toilet seats. Install the baby gate. But I have learned that movers and a housecleaning team on the day of closing will make your sanity last. Anyone can mop and move a box. This way you hit the ground running and don't feel like you are playing catch up for the first month.
Eliminate the negative- Our bathroom tub is being used as a super sonic paint rinsing station. It has grossed me out from the first time we saw the house and it is the first of our remodeling jobs. I've got the tile picked out, but the tub we are debating over. Currently it is a jacuzzi, but I'm replacing it with just a soaker tub. Any thoughts?
7 comments:
Wow! It is really coming together! I love the to do list written on the chalk board...nice personal touch! ;) We have a jacuzzi tub and I usually only soak in it as it is so much quieter at the end of a long day of being around little ones who are loud. ;) So I am all for the soaking tub!
I had a jacuzzi tub and didn't use the jets that often. To me, just getting in the tub is a luxury! Also, if you get the jacuzzi, pay attention to where the jets are. I didn't have a choice on mine, but they were in stupid places. I didn't really need my upper arm massaged with supersonic jets of water. Love, love, love the house!
Oh Ashley, y'all's house is beautiful- and the yard is great! Your updates to the house look really good. I could use your decorating acumen down here in Birmingham! If you need anything, don't forget that you can call on your "neighbors" the Slaterys- they're just down the road.
- Frances
oh I love the house. It is great!
ok first off, how in the world do you know Francis Slatery? she and I have known each other since birth.
such a small world.
As for the paint, Im a calm paint person, so I vote the left paint color for one that seems the most soothing and versatile. I love fun colors in kids rooms, besides they are usually smaller to paint again later.
my only comment on tubs is that its not the easiest thing to keep the jets as clean as i would like. And the sometimes the motors can give you a little bit of trouble, but man is that massage great, especially when you've been carrying little ones all day long.
happy house settling!
I love your house. It looks like what you see when you imagine the word house. I bet you'll have it whipped into shape in no time. You have some great spaces to work with!
Thanks for all of your helpful advice! We've decided on a soaker tub, which is constructed of a material similar to cast iron, and are shopping for the best deal right now.
Oh, and Emily, I agree, kids rooms are much more fun to do more exuberant colors with, so thanks for the push! Warm cocoon it is! And... Miss Frances is one of my "girls" when I worked with high school students at CSPC. She put up with me for four years and still manages a kind word every now and again! .... it is a small world....
Post a Comment